Everything about the Uber trip seemed typical. You used the app to request the trip. The driver picked you up and may have even initiated a pleasant conversation with you. However, moments later, the typical experience ended when your Uber driver suddenly collided with another vehicle. Now what? If you are the victim of a rideshare or Uber accident, don’t just settle on the best car accident injury attorney based on convenience. If the accident occurred in Atlanta, be sure to hire an experienced Atlanta Uber accident lawyer that is located locally in Atlanta.
There are several ways Uber passengers can have involvement in an accident. Depending on the circumstances, there may be rear-end collisions, sideswipes, black ice slips and loss of control spin-outs. When that occurs, it is imperative for you to contact an attorney to discuss the case. The lawyer will advise you as to whether you need to take certain steps in the aftermath.
Uber Accident Attorney Can Help Sort Out the Particulars
If you get into an automobile accident while you are driving your car, you know what happens next. You may know who is at fault and which insurance company to call. Perhaps you even know the auto body shop that will you choose to handle the repairs. However, when you are an Uber passenger at the time of the accident, you will likely have some questions. These include:
- Who was at fault for the accident?
- Who will cover my medical expenses, loss of wages and any other financial deficit caused by the accident?
- With which insurance company will I need to file a claim – my own or the Uber driver’s?
- Will Uber cover any of these costs or am I on my own since I was just a passenger?
Uber provides commercial liability as protection for all passengers that use its service. Uber passengers are covered by millions of dollars’ worth of uninsured motorist coverage. It lasts from the time the Uber trip is accepted to when the passenger exits the Uber-approved vehicle. It makes sense that Uber refers to this first-class coverage option as the “best in class” protection. However, there are still questions that may emerge within the minds of passengers in the event of an accident. Knowing that this liability protection is available is a major selling point for new customers and first-time passengers. However, in the event of an actual accident or personal injury, what is the process involved?
Working alongside an Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta GA will allow you to get all the information you need. You will not have to worry about missing the mark or allowing important deadlines and deliverables to slip by. Retain an Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta with a substantial amount of experience in this specific service area. You can rest assured in knowing that your case is in good hands.
Uber Accident Attorney Represents Victims of Uber Driver Accidents
Perhaps you were driving your own vehicle and an Uber driver unexpectedly struck you. A responding police officer will visit the scene and record statements from all involved parties and eyewitnesses. It may be crystal clear on paper that the Uber driver was at fault for the accident. However, where do you go from there? You may want to know:
- What steps must be taken at that point to strive to recover your financial losses?
- Who will pay for any applicable medical expenses?
- How will you get someone to cover the costs of repairing your vehicle damage?
- What about the added expense of rental vehicles to keep you on the road in the meantime?
Apparently, you are still covered by the Uber commercial liability policy. However, the coverage amounts will vary depending on the circumstances of the Uber driver at that time.
Let’s say the Uber driver has a passenger onboard at the time of the accident. You will be able to benefit from the $1 million commercial liability policy referenced above. This is obviously much better than the minimum insurance requirements enforced by taxicab companies. These typically call for $125,000 per person up to the maximum of $250,000 per occurrence in bodily injury coverage. This is 75% less than the coverage offered by Uber for drivers with active fares.
How Does Uber Handle Car Accidents If the Uber Driver Isn’t Carrying A Passenger at Impact?
How does Uber handle accidents, or any rideshare or Lyft driver company? As any experienced and knowledgeable Uber injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA would tell you, it is still possible for you to be compensated from the commercial liability policy even if no passenger was present.
How so? The Uber commercial policy can cover up to $50,000 per individual to a maximum of $100,000 per accident. You will be able to benefit from coverage of up to $25,000 for any applicable property damage. Keep in mind that these limited coverage amounts only apply when the Uber driver is off-duty or between fares. It is obviously not as “impressive” as the $1 million liability policy that covers Uber drivers with passengers. However, it will still help to relieve a substantial amount of the financial burden that automobile accidents typically incur.
With the proper assistance and advice of an Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta, the benefits do not have to stop there. This is where the hard-earned money you put towards your investment in legal representation will come into play.
You Don’t Need a Uber Driver Lawyer to Predict the Immediate Aftermath of a Uber Accident
It is wise to at least save the contact information of an Uber accident attorney in your phone or tablet. Yes, even if you have never been in an Uber accident or you don’t take Uber. Why? According to Statista, more than 7,000 vehicles were involved in traffic crashes throughout the United States in 2016 alone.
That is an average of more than 19 vehicles per day. There is no way to determine if you may ever be in one of those vehicles. However, the more you drive or hop in the passenger seat of a vehicle you are playing against the odds. It is always good to have the necessary protection in place. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. In the event of an automobile accident involving an Uber driver, an Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta can help. They can walk you through even the initial steps of the turbulent aftermath of this type of tragedy. There are certain steps that you need to take there at the scene of the accident. Afterward, you can finally head home and try to track down a lawyer to call during business hours.
Below is a brief overview of several steps that you must take without delay. An Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta can help you to complete them.
It is easy to brush off the idea of calling 911. You may be in in a rush and both vehicles may still be drivable. There may be consensus that you don’t want to get the police involved. Having the police dispatched to the scene of the accident is a protection for all parties involved. Police officers will investigate the events leading up to the accident. They will also note the condition of all injured parties and damaged property. The officers will then file reports and such backup documentation as eyewitness statements and testimonials.
Regardless of if you decide to pursue legal action, you need to call 911 and request a police officer. The police will be able to answer any questions and perhaps photograph the condition of the damaged vehicles. Most of what a police officer documents and files away can be turned over to an authorized attorney. This is especially when it directly relates to the attorney’s client.
Take Accurate Notes
Whether you pull out a pen and paper or the memo app on your phone, you should take notes. Memories of the accident and its aftermath will start to fade with each passing day, week and month. You have no idea how long it will take to tie up all loose ends inside and outside of court. Maintaining quality documentation as a safety net is essential.
List of Items to Make Notes:
- Driver Information: Get the names, numbers, and addresses of all drivers and passengers involved. It is true that the police officer will collect the same contact information once they arrive. However, that does not mean you will have easy access to that part of their files. Get as much information as you can now. Your Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta will need it.
- Vehicle Information: Get the make, model and license plate number of each vehicle involved in the accident. If you were the Uber passenger, you should already have a lot of this information populated within your app. You just need to review the profile of your driver and take note of all the information provided within it. This will include their Uber driving history, name and license plate number.
- Your Personal Thoughts and Recollection of the Accident: As mentioned above, the details and memories of the accident will fade from your mind as time passes by. Therefore, once you have collected other pertinent information, make sure that you record a log of your own thoughts. Note your feelings and a recollection of the events leading up to the point of impact. Address all details within that log. Include conversations and statements made by the responding officers and other drivers/passengers involved.
- Capture Photos of All Signs of Damage: Most people automatically think of taking pictures of the property damage itself. They may want to attach the photos to the claim filed with their insurance company. However, you should also take pictures of all signs of damage. This means you should include property damage and bodily injuries. You may even want to capture pictures of the other drivers and passengers involved. Consider photographing any available eyewitnesses who are willing to submit their statements to the responding officers. These photos will complement your detailed notes very well. They will prove to be a big help to your Uber accident lawyer in Atlanta. Your lawyer will have a lot to do as they work hard behind the scenes to build your case.
- Be Cautious – Think Before You Speak: Your Uber accident attorney will more than likely tell you the same thing that most attorneys tell their clients. They’ll say “Speak to no one without me present”. In the immediate aftermath of an automobile accident, there is typically a flood of questions flying in your direction. When you have retained an Uber accident attorney, it is important to keep your mouth shut. Redirect all questions towards your legal representative. You may not be retained or arrested at the scene of the accident.However, you should still remember the warning advised through the Miranda Rights citation. Your words “can be used against you in a court of law.” The same principle applies to requests offered by police officers, Uber executives, insurance companies and opposing counsel. They may ask for your statements, testimonies, and interviews. The safest approach is to be overly cautious when it comes to post-accident communication and correspondence. Allow your Uber accident attorney to help you navigate through these turbulent waters. They will help you to win your court case in the long run.
Contact a Uber Lawsuit Lawyer
You need experience, knowledge, and insight on your side. This ensures you have the preparation to handle the aftermath of an automobile accident. You may especially need help when that involves an Uber driver. Never fall into the trap of assuming that your case is an “open/shut” one. Don’t assume that everyone would agree with you. Many victims of automobile accidents have fallen into this trap over the years. They decided to represent themselves in court instead of investing in the retention of an experienced attorney.
You, no doubt, want to ensure that your rights are protected. You want to make sure that justice is served following an automobile accident involving an Uber driver. It would, therefore, be in your best interest to hire a rideshare or Uber accident lawyer. If your accident was in or around Atlanta, be sure to contact Schneider Hammers to receive a FREE consultation from an experienced Atlanta Uber accident lawyer. Schneider Hammers injury and accident lawyers will handle your case carefully and correctly to get you a top Uber car accident settlement the first time around.