The worst thing about car accidents is that they affect so many lives. Sometimes the effects are life-changing. Depending on the severity of your Atlanta, GA car accident, you may be forced to get admitted to a hospital. Some people end up with brain injuries which can be quite costly to treat. If your loved one is in a hospital due to a traumatic brain injury after a crash, you deserve compensation. Treating an injury of that magnitude requires a lot of funds that you may not have. It is essential that you file the compensation claim promptly to ensure your relative gets the best care.
It is difficult to handle all of that on your own without knowledge of how everything works in Atlanta, GA. That is why you should hire an experienced lawyer to assist you. A car accident attorney in Atlanta can advise you on everything you need to file the claim. They will handle all the paperwork to get your family member justice.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injury
A traumatic brain injury occurs when there is some injury to the tissues of the brain. This usually happens when there is a massive impact to the head or even neck. Some traumatic brain injuries are not too serious, but others can lead to severe consequences. The more severe injuries usually take long to treat and hence, will consume a lot of money. As a result, you may end up paying for something that wasn’t your fault. If a relative suffered a TBI, then it is best you seek compensation as soon as possible.
Some common types of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Concussion. This occurs when there is a direct hit to the head causing pain and sometimes unconsciousness. It is a less severe kind of injury, but it can get worse if left untreated. Symptoms include headaches, feeling dazed, short periods of unconsciousness and sometimes nosebleeds.
- Coup contrecoup. This type of injury affects both sides of the brain. The side which received the massive impact is damaged along with the other side when the brain hits the skull. The risk of permanent damage is high.
- Contusion. This comes about through a direct hit on the head that leads to an injury to the brain. Depending on how substantial the impact was, the severity varies. It can be severe if it is left unattended for an extended period.
- This happens when one hits his head so hard that it ruptures a blood vessel and leads to a clot. It is a very dangerous injury since the lump can continue growing larger. There are times that the clot may dissolve on its own but at times surgery is needed to remove it.
- Penetration. This is by far the deadliest of all the TBIs. In this case there is an actual object in the skull. If the object hasn’t hit any crucial vessels, it is possible to remove it without adverse effects. However, if it has severely injured the brain, it may prove fatal.
Benefits a Car Accident Attorney in Atlanta Can Help You Obtain
When your family member has a traumatic brain injury, you need to be on top of everything. Their life could be at stake. You need the advice and support of a car accident attorney in Atlanta on how to go about seeking compensation. It is essential that the claim is filed on time so that your loved one can get what they need.
If another driver caused the accident that led to the injuries of your family member, they have to compensate them. That is usually done through their Atlanta, GA insurance company. The insurer may pay for:
- Medical costs such as surgery, medication, physiotherapy and any future charges.
- Pain and suffering for both the injured person and their immediate family.
- Lost wages for the time the victim was off work due to injuries.
- Punitive damages if the driver is found to be extremely reckless.
Why Do You Need The Help Of an Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer To Get Compensation For Your Family Member?
The job of the insurance company is to ensure that they don’t part with a lot of money. As a result, if you approach them on your own, you may not gain enough to cover all your costs. However, with the help from Schneider Hammers car accident attorneys in Georgia, we can fight to get you what you deserve. We have extensive experience dealing with stubborn insurance companies, so we know what will get them to pay. In the end, we will do all we can to ensure that your loved one gets justice.