Many vehicle drivers do not respect motorcyclists. This is one of the major reasons for motorcycle accidents. There are rules that dictate how each should use the road but there is usually some discord between the two. Unfortunately for those operating motorbikes, getting into an accident is almost always fatal. The “luckier” ones usually suffer life-changing injuries and it is important for them to get compensation. Unfortunately, hit and run cases are quite common in motorcycle accidents. However, it is still possible to get justice if you have the best legal team with you. One of the first things you should do after a crash is to seek a motorcycle accident attorney in Marietta. If you are confined in a hospital, have your family members take care of this for you. You need to act fast so that your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer can come up with the best plan for your case.
A Marietta accident lawyer who is experienced in dealing with similar cases is an asset. He will analyze your case and come up with a course of action to get you the compensation you deserve. Your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer will also ensure that you are taken care of. If you end up in a Marietta, GA hospital, you need to ensure that your bills are paid. Handling all this on your own is close to impossible. This is why you need expert assistance.
Steps to Take If You Are Involved in a Motorcycle Accident in Marietta, GA
If you are not badly injured after a crash, you need to act so that your interests are protected. Ensure that you take the following steps to ensure that everything goes well.
Call the Emergency Number
This is always the first thing to do after an accident. It brings the police and a medical team to the scene. Ensure that you are at a safe distance away from the road. Explain what happened and say if you are injured. If you are injured badly and you do not believe you can do much after that, inform a close relative. Your relative can get to the scene and work on the following steps to help your case.
Call a Marietta Motorcycle Accident Attorney
It is crucial that you inform an experienced Marietta accident lawyer about the accident. Your lawyer will get on top of the situation. A motorcycle accident lawyer is, therefore, an important ally to have. This is especially the case if you are going to be admitted to hospital. Give your accident attorney as many details as possible including if you received severe injuries. He will advise you on what not to do or say in the aftermath of the accident. Ensure that you follow these instructions closely so you don’t jeopardize your case.
Collect the Details of Those Involved
Note down the number plates of the cars involved and get the drivers’ contact details. Make sure you don’t discuss anything about the Marietta, GA accident with them. Anything you say may be used against you later. You should also exchange insurance information since this is important for the claim you will make. If there were any eyewitnesses, you should also request their details in case you need proof of what happened.
If you can, take clear photographs of the scene. They should show the crash from different angles so that it is easier to explain what happened. If you are unable to do this, your motorcycle accident lawyer in Marietta should have someone do it for you. This is why it is crucial that you inform him about the incident as soon as it happens. This needs to happen even before the police get to the scene. This ensures that you can capture everything without restriction.
Give the Police Your Statement
When the police arrive, give a full statement of everything that happened. Your motorcycle accident lawyer in Marietta should have guided you on what to say. Make sure that you follow their instructions. This is to avoid incriminating yourself even when you are innocent. You have to be careful about what you say since it will go into the police report. It may also affect your insurance claim.
Get Medical Attention
It doesn’t matter whether you feel any pain after the motorcycle accident. It is important that you get checked. You may have been hurt even if the symptoms don’t show up immediately. If you need more tests to confirm that you are fine, ensure that you take them. If you suffer severe injuries, allow the response team to take care of you. Your motorcycle accident lawyer will handle the rest. Don’t worry about how much you will spend on treatment. Your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer will ensure that you receive compensation for it.
Every step that you take following a Marietta, GA accident is extremely important. What you do will affect the outcome of your case. This is why it is vital that you have the guidance of your motorcycle accident attorney.
What Causes Marietta, GA Motorcycle Accidents and Why Do I Need a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Marietta?
A lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by either negligence or recklessness on the part of the drivers. As a result, many of these accidents end in terrible circumstances where the rider suffers severe injuries. Learning the common causes of motorcycle accidents is the first step in preventing more crashes from happening. Motorcycle accidents are usually caused by:
- Driving carelessly. A lot of vehicle drivers do not believe that riders ever have the right of way. They feel they have priority on the road but this is not always the case. This belief often ends in a collision. Drivers will overtake motorcyclists and turn recklessly. If a rider is not alert, they may get hit. Unfortunately, such behavior affects the rider most since they suffer serious injuries. This is why it is important to have a Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer advise you about your case. A lawyer is also the best person to help with any insurance claim issues.
- Driving under the influence and speeding. Since alcohol and drugs impair the vision and judgment of the driver, they often cause them to speed. Unfortunately, drivers may end up hitting a motorcycle rider. Impaired vision also makes it less likely that the driver will see a rider even if they have reflective gear. They may also veer off the road, meaning that they could hit a rider on the roadside.
- Making a wrong left turn. Since riders use the left side of the road, a driver making a left turn could easily hit them. A wrong turn may be caused by either speeding or drunk driving. In either case, the driver will not see the rider in time. An accident may also happen if the area has poor lighting and the rider is not wearing reflective clothing. The motorcyclist may be hit with a lot of force and this may end badly. To avoid such occurrences as a rider, ensure that you wear reflective clothing so that the driver can see you. Also, take initiative and get out of the way of a reckless driver.
- Driving while distracted. When drivers are texting or distracted by other things, they are likely to hit a rider. This is especially common at night since they may not identify a rider on time. There are stringent laws against distracted driving in Georgia. If a distracted driver hits you, your motorcycle accident lawyer in Marietta can easily prove it. They can examine the phone history of the driver. This allows you to get maximum compensation for your injuries and other losses.
- Overtaking carelessly. This can lead to a head-on collision. It may occur when a driver is recklessly overtaking since he believes he has right of way. This often sends the rider on the correct side of the road off on to the sidewalk. In some cases, the rider may not be in a position to get out of the way. Such accidents are usually fatal especially if they involve more than one vehicle. However, if you only receive injuries, your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer can get you a very attractive compensation package.
Drivers are usually at fault in motorcycle accidents. If this is the case, you need to hire an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Marietta. He will hire an investigator to get evidence for your case. Once this happens, with the support of the police report, he can file a lawsuit on your behalf. This at least ensures that you have your financial needs met while you recover.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive after a Motorcycle Accident in Marietta
Once your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer completes the investigation and submits your claim, you can receive compensation. This applies if the driver of the other vehicle is at fault for the crash. You will receive the first offer from the insurance company through your lawyer and the process begins. The first offer is usually too low so your motorcycle accident attorney in Marietta may suggest that you reject it. He will negotiate on your behalf to ensure that the insurer makes a better offer. If they do not cooperate, you may have to file a lawsuit in court. For this part, you will be happy you have an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Marietta on your side. The outcome of your case is heavily reliant on the skill of your attorney. Here are some of the damages that you or your family may collect.
These cover any economic losses that you may have incurred following the accident including motorcycle damage or medical bills. Your Marietta motorcycle accident lawyer will present all the costs you incurred and those you may have in the future. These include medication expenses, loss of wages and future wages, and long-term medical care. There is a lot that you need to prove in order to get compensation. That is why a lawyer is not optional here. You need to provide supporting documents showing all the costs. Without evidence of your expenses and losses, you may end up with inadequate compensation.
If it is clear that the liable driver was extremely reckless, you can request punitive damages. The courts award these damages more like a punishment to the driver than to cover your costs. If you sustained life-changing injuries or a family member perished, you can also request punitive damages. In this case, the burden of proof lies with your motorcycle accident lawyer. He needs to be very good at arguing your case.
These are not directly linked to your finances but are more emotional and psychological. They include pain and suffering and loss of companionship and enjoyment. If you suffered serious injuries, you may need therapy to help you cope with your new life. Getting this compensation helps you get the assistance that you need. These types of damages are not easy to quantify since you cannot measure emotional effects. However, your motorcycle accident lawyer Marietta will help you come up with a figure. He will work with you to get you the damages you deserve. There is usually a limit to how much you can collect in non-financial damages. You must consider this when you determine how much to claim in compensation.
Need an Experienced Attorney to Help with Your Case? Talk to Us at Schneider Hammers
Motorcycle accidents can have a lot of negative effects on your life. As much as the wounds heal, you may not fully forget them. However, it helps when you have a team on your side that is looking out for you. At Schneider Hammers, we value all of our clients and our greatest joy is seeing that you get justice. Talk to our motorcycle accident attorney in Marietta, GA as soon as you can about your case. When we get all the relevant information, we can get started on crafting strategies to help you.