When we think of personal injury lawyers, we think of car accidents and falls. We don’t normally think of burn injuries. Very few of us know people who have suffered burn injuries. Part of the reason for this is that they are not as common as the other types of accidents. Another reason is that most people with very serious burn injuries don’t live to tell their tale. Most pass away from their injuries. House fires and car accidents are responsible for most burn injuries. Others are result of scalding, explosions and electrical burns. Many of these accidents were preventable. If you or a loved one have suffered a burn injury, contact a Roswell burn injury attorney today.
One thing that is not up for debate is that burn injuries are the most painful thing you will ever experience. And, despite what you may think, burns are more common than you may think. More than 450,000 people are hurt every year in a burn injury. Almost 3.500 people die every year from burn injuries.
Most people recover from minor burns. Even 2nd degree burns heal pretty quickly. In fact, 96% of burn victims survive. Some may undergo extensive medical treatment and a long recovery period. However, burn injuries can also lead to permanent disability and life altering medical issues. The more serious the burn type, the lower the chance of survival. As mentioned above, many people who suffer 3rd degree burns or worse do not make it. An experienced injury lawyer will make sure you are compensated for these injuries.
Burn Injury Lawyers Handle All Types of Burn Cases
Burn injuries are caused by all sorts of accidents. There are three main causes of burn injuries:
- Coming into contact with actual fire or flames
- Scalding yourself with hot liquids
- Burning yourself from touching something very hot
All burn injuries are painful. You may or may not require medical treatment. However, burn injuries lawyers always recommend you seek medical treatment, even for minor burns. You just can’t be sure of how bad your burn is. Some burns have gone beneath the skin and you just can’t tell. Also, you need to document your injuries for your lawyer later on.
There are different types of burns. Your burn injury lawyer has experience handling all types of burns. The most common types are:
- Chemical Burns – You can suffer a chemical burn if your eyes or skin come into contact with certain chemicals. This can happen at work, at school, or even going about your day to day business. The following chemicals commonly cause burns:
- Battery acid
- Strong cleaners
- Electrical Burns – This type of burn is when your body comes into direct contact with electricity. One of the most common ways this happens is by grabbing a live wire such as a damaged extension cord.
- Friction Burns – This type of burn is caused when your body is dragged across rough surfaces at a high speed. We see a lot of these in car and motorcycle accidents.
- Radiation burns – People who are receiving treatment for cancer often experience this type of burn. If the amount of radiation is too high, you could be burned. People who work in the healthcare field also suffer this type of burn. When they are administering the radiation treatment, they can suffer a burn injury themselves.
If you or a loved one have suffered any of these burns, you need to contact a burn injuries lawyer. He will review your case and make sure the people who caused your injuries are held accountable.
Your Roswell Burn Injury Attorney Will Get You the Compensation You Deserve
All Roswell burn injury attorneys will tell you to seek medical treatment after sustaining a burn injury. Even if the doctor sends you home or offers minor treatment, it’s important that you go. There are a couple reasons for this. First and foremost, you need to make sure you’re physically okay. Second, you need to document your injuries. Without treatment, there is no way to document your injuries Since burns tend to heal rather quickly, it’s important you get it documented right away. Your burn injury lawyer will need all the documentation to prove that you sustained injuries.
There are several different degrees of burns. The higher the degree, the more severe the burn. Each type of burn requires different types of medical treatment.
The basic breakdown of burns by degree are as follows:
- First-Degree Burns – These burns affect the outer layer of your skin. These burns usually heal themselves within a week or so. A common type of first-degree burn would be what you get from a tanning bed. Keep in mind, if you use a commercial tanning bed and are severely burned, you should seek a Roswell burn injury attorney immediately. Take pictures of your burns so that you can preserve this evidence for later.
- Second-Degree Burns – This type of burn affects both the outer layer of skin and the layer right beneath it. Usually, if you suffer a second-degree burn, you will require a skin graft. A skin graft is a medical procedure where a surgeon takes skin from one place on your body and puts it on the burned area.
- Third-Degree – This type of burn is much more serious than the other two. These burns don’t just burn your skin. They actually burn your tissues and muscles beneath your skin. They require several skin graft procedures. It can take months to heal from a third-degree burn. This is the type of burn suffered in a house fire or car accident. Most people who do pass away from burn injuries have third-degree burns.
Your Burn Injuries Lawyer Will Fight to Get Your Damages
All personal injury cases involve a demand for damages. The same is true for burn injury cases. Your burn injuries lawyer will seek damages for your injuries. Depending how serious your injuries were, you may suffer a lot of damages or only minimal damages. Your Roswell burn injury attorney will argue to get you the most money possible.
Damages from a burn injury include:
- Medical bills – You should not have to pay for medical bills due to someone else’s negligence. Your burn injury attorney is going to make sure the defendant pays your past, present and future medical bills.
- Lost wages – It doesn’t matter how much time you miss from work. You should be compensated for all lost wages. Give your burn injury lawyer copies of your timesheets and paystubs to prove how much time you have missed from work.
- Pain and suffering – Georgia allows pain and suffering. It’s not hard to demonstrate pain in burn injury cases. Juries and judges are very sympathetic when it comes to this type of case. People generally know how painful burn injuries are. This is especially true if you sustain third degree burns all over your body.
- Permanent disability – Some people are burned so bad that they never work again. If this happens to you, you will need to apply for permanent disability. You will not earn near as much on disability as you would working. Your burn injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for the difference in earnings.
- Facial disfigurement – You may suffer burns to your face. This could result in disfigurement. You may need to undergo extensive cosmetic surgery to repair the damage. Your burn injury lawyer will make sure you are fully compensated for this.
Your burn injury lawyer knows how to prove your damages. He will present your medical records and proof of damages to the insurance company. If they are unwilling to settle your claim, your burn injuries lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf.
If Your Child Suffers a Burn Injury, You Need to Contact a Roswell Burn Injury Attorney
Accidents happen. Over 100,000 kids are brought into the emergency rooms each year with burn injuries. Most of these are due to scalding. Kids spill hot liquids on their bodies – they don’t know any better. Or, a babysitter puts a child into a tub of bathwater that is too hot. It’s always important to make sure you bring your child to the emergency room if they are burned. Babies can’t tell us how bad they hurt. We need medical professionals to determine whether or not they’re okay.
Nobody ever wants to think of a child getting hurt. We certainly don’t want to think of them getting burned. It happens though. Some of the most important statistics regarding child burn injuries include:
- Burns and fires is the 5th leading cause of death in children in the United States
- 75% of all child scalding accidents are preventable
- Children and toddlers are most often burned by scalding and flames
- Hot tap water causes more injuries and deaths than any other hot liquid
- 85% of children under 4 who are hospitalized for burns were hurt in a scalding or contact burn
If your child was burned while someone was minding them, you need to call a Roswell burn injury lawyer. It doesn’t matter how it happened, your burn injuries lawyer is going to file a negligence claim on behalf of your child. Obviously, at a time like this you need to focus on getting your child well. Let your burn injury lawyer deal with the legal side of things.
Your Burn Injury Lawyer Must Prove Negligence for your Burn Injury Case
Burn injury cases work just like every other type of personal injury case. You need to demonstrate negligence on the part of the defendant. Your burn injury lawyer will have to prove the same elements of negligence as with all other personal injury cases, which are:
- Somebody owed you or your child a certain duty of care
- The breached this duty
- You or your child were injured
- Your injuries were caused by the breach
Since burn injuries are rare, it’s not hard to prove that they were actually caused by the defendant’s actions. It’s not likely that you suffered the injuries earlier or in some other way. Your Roswell burn injury attorney is going to have to prove that the defendant was negligent.
Here are some situations where your Roswell burn injury attorney can show that the defendant was negligent:
- The babysitter or daycare worker left a pot of boiling water on a child’s desk
- A school or daycare used a stove that was in the reach of children
- A babysitter gave your child a bath in water that was way too hot
- A child minder was having electrical work done with children present
Your burn injuries lawyer is going to work hard to get your family justice. He will negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company to get a fair settlement of your claim.
Contact a Roswell Burn Injury Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have suffered a burn injury, contact a Roswell burn injury attorney today. You need to work on getting better. Burn injuries take time to heal. Let your burn injury lawyer deal with the insurance company. He’ll try to get your case settled while you recover. If he is unable to do so, he will talk to you about filing a lawsuit against the defendant.
If your Roswell injury attorney has to file suit, you will only have two years to do so. The Georgia statute of limitations for personal injury cases is two years from the date of the accident. Contact a burn injury lawyer today and schedule your free initial consultation. This gives you a chance to have an attorney review your case and tell you how much it may be worth. He can also guide you through the legal process. And remember, you pay nothing until you win your case!