We don’t know what we did before the advent of Rideshare companies. Instead of driving home from a bar after drinking, an Uber driver can now pick you up and drive you home. People with a suspended and revoked driver’s license have a way to get around. They can schedule for an Uber ride right from their cell phone. For the same price as a cab ride, they can get to where they are going safely. The only problem with an Uber driver is that he’s human.
As much as we hope an Uber driver will get us home safely, there is still a chance that they will get in an accident. He could have been speeding or texting and driving. He’s no different from any other driver. If this happens and you get injured, you need to contact an Roswell Uber accident lawyer. Your auto accident lawyer will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
Some of the most common types of Uber accidents in Roswell include:
- Head-on collisions
- Distracted driving
- Reckless or careless driving
- Rear-end accident
If you are hurt as a result of an Uber driver’s negligence, you have a right to pursue a claim against his insurance. You are the mercy of the driver while you were in that car. Your goal is to secure a safe ride home. If something goes wrong, you are going to need to contact an Uber accident lawyer.
Most Common Types of Uber Accidents
Uber drivers are likely to get into the same types of accidents as all other drivers. Some accidents cause very minor injuries. Others can cause life threatening injuries. It all depends on the circumstances. You may require surgery and physical therapy. You may even need to spend some time in the hospital. Your Uber accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Rear-end accidents –Rear-end accidents are some of the most common accidents. If a car is going too fast, they may not be able to stop in time to avoid a collision. Or the rear driver is not paying attention to the road. They could be texting and driving and the next thing they know, they’re smashing into the back of your car.
Most Uber drivers have cameras installed in their vehicles. This means there may be a recording of exactly how the accident happened. This can be good news for your Uber accident lawyers. It can help prove that the rear driver was at fault.
- Reckless driving –Reckless driving involves driving so erratically that you have absolutely no concern for the safety of others on the road. Most people who drive recklessly are angry or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You would hope this wouldn’t be the case with someone who drives for a living. However, there is an outside chance that the Uber driver is driving recklessly at the time of the accident.
- Head-on collisions –One of the most dangerous types of accidents is a head-on collision. Given the rate of speed of the two cars, there is going to be a significant impact. The impact can cause very serious injuries, even death.
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs –You would hope that an Uber driver wouldn’t be drinking and driving. The whole point of calling an Uber driver is to avoid driving drunk yourself. However, some Uber drivers work long hours. They may end up relying on certain drugs to keep these late hours.
- Distracted driving –Distracted driving involves more than just texting and driving. It can involve the most innocent activities such as drinking a soda or eating a burger. If you aren’t paying attention to the road at all times, you are liable to get into a car accident. If your Uber driver is trying to kill two birds with one stone, he could end up getting into an accident. Uber drivers are always responding to ride requests on their cell phones. They could very well be arranging for another ride at the time of the accident.
Uber Accident Lawyers Handle all Types of Cases
It’s never fun to be involved in an accident. Aside from the pain and injuries, accidents can be very frustrating, You end up missing work and get hit with a ton of medical bills. The good news is that Uber accident lawyers can handle all types of cases. Regardless of how the accident happened, your Uber accident lawyer will be able to handle it for you. He can review your medical records and see how serious your injuries are. He can negotiate with the insurance company to try to settle your claim. If this isn’t successful, he will have to file a lawsuit on your behalf.
The confusion with Uber accidents is that you’re not always sure what parties to pursue. You may have to file a claim against two insurance companies: the Uber driver’s personal car insurance company and the Uber company policy. They are both required to maintain separate insurance policies. You want to pursue both policies just in case one claim doesn’t pay all of your damages. If this happens, you can still pursue the second claim. Your Uber accident lawyer will make sure both policies are addressed.
Georgia law requires that either the Uber driver or the transportation company maintain the following insurance levels:
- $100K coverage for personal bodily injury
- $50K per person per accident
- $50K property loss per accident
The transportation company almost always passes the insurance requirements on to their drivers. Since their drivers are not technically employees, they have no incentive to cover them under their policy. Since the personal insurance policies are rather low, you may have to pierce the corporate policy. They are required to carry up to $1 million in coverage. When this happens, your Uber accident lawyer will need to file further action.
Your Uber Accident Lawyer will Take Legal Action if Necessary
Hopefully, between the two insurance policies, your damages will be paid. If this isn’t the case, your Uber accident lawyer will have to file a lawsuit. The lawsuit will have to be filed against both the Uber driver and the transportation company. If you have to choose between the two, you would rather pursue the deep pockets of the company. They are bound to have a lot more assets than an individual Uber driver. Your Uber accident lawyers know this and will focus on the deeper pockets.
The transportation company will probably be held ultimately responsible for the actions of their drivers. At first, Uber is going to deny liability. They’ll say the Uber driver was an independent contractor and not under the umbrella of the company. They may argue that the driver was not acting within the scope of his employment. They may claim that you were not an actual customer at the time of the accident. Uber accident lawyers challenge this position.
Your Uber accident lawyer is going to try to settle your case before there is any need for a trial. This is in the best interests of all parties. Nobody wants to go to court. It is time consuming and expensive. The same is true for the insurance company. The last thing they want is a trial.
What Type of Injuries Can an Uber Accident Lawyer Handle?
You may sustain all sorts of injuries in your Uber accident. You may walk away with nothing but a few scrapes and broken bones. Or, you may suffer a traumatic brain injury. Whether your injuries are minor or serious, your Uber accident lawyer can handle your case. When it comes to an Uber accident, the bottom line is you got in a car and expected to arrive home safely. When this doesn’t happen, you are entitled to compensation.
Some of the most common types of injuries associated with an Uber accident are:
- Head and brain injuries –If your Uber driver is hit by an oncoming car, you may suffer a severe blow to the head. This can cause a traumatic brain injury (TBI.) TBIs can cause lifelong problems. They can also cause permanent disability. These are the things your Uber accident lawyer are going to seek compensation for. Some of the effects of a TBI include:
- Memory loss
- Vision impairment
- Inability to communicate
All of these symptoms can cause you to become disabled. You likely won’t be able to do the same kind of work as you did prior to the accident. Uber accident lawyers work hard to make sure you are compensated fairly for this type of injury.
- Back injuries –Even minor accidents can lead to back injuries. Some of the most common back issues are disc herniations and muscle strains. Many back injuries require surgery and long-term physical therapy. This means increased medical bills and time off from work. Your Uber accident lawyer is going to make sure the insurance company pays for these expenses. If they don’t, they will file the necessary legal action to hold the Uber driver and company accountable.
- Neck injuries –Whiplash is a very common car accident injury. Most Uber passengers sit in the backseat. This protects you from some types of injuries, but not all. If your Uber drive is hit from behind, you will feel the brunt of the impact. This could result in serious neck injuries. It’s important that you seek medical attention after the accident to make sure that these injuries aren’t life threatening. Your Uber accident lawyer will also rely on this medical documentation to prove your injury. Since whiplash is very hard to prove, this may be the only evidence your Uber accident lawyer has to use in court.
- Internal Injuries –In more serious accidents, you may suffer from internal injuries. These can be dangerous because, if left untreated, they can be fatal. There is no way to know what kinds of internal injuries you may have. You can’t see them and usually can’t feel them. There isn’t always pain associated with internal injuries. Some of the most common types of internal injuries include:
- Internal bleeding
- Ruptured organs
- Swelling of the brain
You need to go to the hospital to make sure there are no internal injuries. Your doctor will conduct the necessary medical texts to check that you are okay. Some of these tests include x-rays, CT scans and MRI. These tests are expensive. Your Uber accident lawyer will make sure you are compensated for these medical bills.
Uber Accident Lawyers Can Help Uber Drivers Too
If you are injured in an Uber accident, you will suffer damages. You are entitled to compensation for these damages. An Uber accident attorney will fight to get you the money you deserve. The insurance company is not in the business of paying out claims. They will allege that it wasn’t the Uber driver’s fault. They will say the driver isn’t negligent and that it’s your fault.
Your accident lawyer will prove that it wasn’t your fault. No jury would hold you responsible. How could you be responsible when you were just a passenger? Your Uber accident attorney can subpoena the driver’s cell phone records and dashcam video. They will check to see if the Uber driver was distracted. These are the sorts of things you wouldn’t be able to do yourself.
Contact an Uber Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have been involved in an Uber accident in Roswell, you need to contact an experienced personal injury lawyer today. The initial consultation is absolutely free. It gives you a chance to ask any questions and concerns you may have. Your lawyer can also take the opportunity to review your case.
Your Uber accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you the money you deserve. Let him handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting well. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.