Rideshare companies have been a lifesaver – literally. People can now call an Uber to come pick them up rather than getting in their cars and driving drunk. People with suspended and revoked driver’s licenses can avoid getting behind the wheel. All they have to do is call an Uber. For a small fee, they can get a safe drive to wherever it is they’re going. One issue with Uber drivers is that, like anyone else, they get into accidents. Nobody is perfect. An Uber driver is human. He may speed or just lose control of his car. If this happens and you get an injury as a result, you need to contact a Smyrna Uber accident lawyer. Your Smyrna Uber accident lawyer will make sure you get full compensation for your injuries.
Some of the most common types of Uber accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Distracted driving
- Reckless or careless driving
- Rear-end accident
These are the same types of accident you would have if you were driving your own car. The difference is that when you get into an Uber, you are promised a safe ride. You should not have to expect to be involved in a car accident when you get a ride from your Uber driver. If something goes wrong, you are going to need to contact a Smyrna Uber accident lawyer.
Most Common Types of Uber Accidents
The types of accident outlined above are the most common types of car accidents. They apply to Uber accidents as well. Each type can cause different types of injuries. Depending on how serious the accident is, you may end up in the hospital for quite some time. Your Smyrna Uber accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Rear-end accidents – This type of accident happens when your Uber driver is stopped at a red light or a stop sign. The driver behind him runs into him from behind. This could be because the rear driver is going too fast. Or perhaps he isn’t paying attention to the road and smashes into the rear of the Uber vehicle.
One good thing about Ubers is that a lot of them maintain cameras in their vehicles. This means that there is a good chance that the accident will have been caught on video. This helps Uber accident lawyers prove that the rear driver was at fault.
Some incidents include:
- Reckless driving – You may be involved in an accident due to reckless driving. This could be on the part of the Uber driver or the other car. Either way, reckless driving can result in serious injuries. Reckless driving is defined as driving without regard for the safety of others. This may involve speeding, weaving in and out of lanes, or tailgating. It usually involved senseless of aggressive driving.
- Head-on collisions – This type of accident can be very serious. They usually involved cars going at high speeds. Because of the nature of the impact, the drivers and passengers of both cars can be hurt bad or even killed. Considering the collision is head-on, one or both drivers must be going the wrong way down the road. Or one is driving so recklessly that they merge into oncoming traffic.
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs – Ironically, Uber drivers can be involved in drunk driving accidents. The irony is that the main point of Uber drivers is to avoid this type of problem. People are encouraged to call Uber when they are too drunk to drive themselves. When that same Uber driver is either drunk himself or hit by a drunk driver, there is nothing funny about it.
- Distracted driving – This type of accident can include more than just texting on a cell phone. People eat, talk, and even watch videos when they are supposed to be paying attention to the road. Uber drivers are just as guilty of doing this as other drivers are. You would think they would be more careful since their livelihood depends on a good driving record. However, that is not always the case.
Uber Accident Lawyers Handle all Types of Cases
The good news is that Uber accident lawyers can handle all types of cases. It doesn’t matter what type of accident you’re involved in, your Uber accident lawyer will be able to handle it for you. He will review your injuries and determine what your damages are. He will then try to negotiate with the Uber driver’s insurance company to pay your claim. If this isn’t successful, he will have to file a lawsuit on your behalf.
One issue with Uber accidents is you may not be sure who to pursue. The general rule is that you’ll have to file a claim with two insurance companies: the Uber driver’s personal car insurance company and the Uber company policy. They may be with two separate insurance companies. However, just in case one claim doesn’t pay all of your damages, you want to have the second claim filed just in case. Your Uber accident lawyer will address both parties.
Georgia law requires that either the Uber driver or the transportation company maintain the following insurance levels:
- $100K coverage for personal bodily injury
- $50K per person per accident
- $50K property loss per accident
The transportation company has the right to either carry this coverage themselves, or require their drivers to maintain these coverage levels. Obviously, most companies are going to push these requirements off onto their drivers. Either way, there are many accidents that exceed these thresholds. When this happens, your Uber accident lawyer will need to file further action.
Your Uber Accident Lawyer will Take Legal Action if Necessary
If the insurance doesn’t cover enough to pay your entire claim, your Uber accident lawyer will have to file a lawsuit. This lawsuit will go against both the Uber driver and the transportation company. As you can imagine, the company can better absorb the costs of a lawsuit. An Uber driver is not going to have the kinds of assets to cover a large judgment. Your Uber accident lawyers know this and will focus on the deeper pockets.
The transportation company is ultimately responsible for the actions of their drivers. Often times, the company will attempt to deny responsibility. They may argue that the driver was not acting within the scope of his employment. Uber accident lawyers challenge this position. They will argue, quite successfully, that the transportation company is vicariously liable for the acts of their employees.
Your Uber accident lawyer is going to try to settle your case before there is any need for a trial. This is in the best interests of all parties. Nobody wants to go to court. It is time consuming and expensive. The same is true for the Uber company. The last thing they want is the negative publicity of a lawsuit.
What Type of Injuries Can an Uber Accident Lawyer Handle?
Whether your injuries are minor or serious, your Smyrna Uber accident lawyer can handle your case. Even if you just suffer something as minor as whiplash, you still have entitlement to compensation. The bottom line is you got in a car and expected a safe drive. When this doesn’t happen, you have entitlement to compensation. If you have missed time from work or are hurt, there is no reason you should not file a claim.
Some of the most common types of injuries associated with an Uber accident are:
- Head and brain injuries – If your Uber driver is hit by an oncoming car, you may suffer a severe blow to the head. This can cause a traumatic brain injury (TBI.) TBIs can cause lifelong problems. They can also cause permanent disability. These are the things your Uber accident lawyer are going to seek compensation for. Some of the effects of a TBI include:
- Memory loss
- Vision impairment
- Inability to communicate
All of these symptoms can cause you to become disabled. You likely won’t be able to do the same kind of work as you did prior to the accident. Uber accident lawyers work hard to make sure you get compensation for this type of injury.
Types of injuries include:
- Back injuries – Even minor accidents can lead to back injuries. Some of the most common back issues are disc herniations and muscle strains. Many back injuries require surgery and long-term physical therapy. This means increased medical bills and time off from work. Your Uber accident lawyer is going to make sure the insurance company pays for these expenses. If they don’t, they will file the necessary legal action to hold the Uber driver and company accountable.
- Neck injuries – Whiplash is a very common car accident injury. Most Uber passengers sit in the backseat. This protects you from some types of injuries, but not all. If your Uber driver gets hit from behind, you will feel the brunt of the impact. This could result in serious neck injuries. It’s important that you seek medical attention after the accident to make sure that these injuries aren’t life threatening. Your Uber accident lawyer will also rely on this medical documentation to prove your injury. Since whiplash is very hard to prove, this may be the only evidence your Uber accident lawyer has to use in court.
- Internal Injuries – In more serious accidents, you may suffer from internal injuries. These can be dangerous because, if left untreated, they can be fatal. There is no way to know what kinds of internal injuries you may have. You can’t see them and usually can’t feel them. There isn’t always pain associated with internal injuries. Some of the most common types of internal injuries include:
- Internal bleeding
- Ruptured organs
- Swelling of the brain
You need to go to the hospital to make sure there are no internal injuries. Your doctor will conduct the necessary medical texts to check that you are okay. Some of these tests include x-rays, CT scans and MRI. These tests are expensive. Your Smyrna Uber accident lawyer will make sure you are compensated for these medical bills.
Smyrna Uber Accident Lawyer Can Help Uber Drivers Too
It’s not always the Uber passengers who get hurt in accidents. If you’re an Uber driver and got injuries in an accident, you may also need a Smyrna Uber accident lawyer. Depending on the cause and seriousness of the accident, you may have a claim against your employer. The contract Uber drivers sign with the transportation company does attempt to limit corporate liability for accidents. However, your Uber accident lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
There have been some recent lawsuits regarding Uber drivers. Some have settled for quite a large amount of money. It’s important to note that Uber has to carry $1 million insurance for these types of accidents. Technically, since Uber drivers are independent contractors, the company isn’ vicariously liable for accidents and injuries. The same rule applies to Uber drivers who have injuries in accidents.
Uber does carry this higher level of insurance for situations when there are serious damages involved in an accident. There are different levels of coverage for different situations. Uber accident lawyers understand these different thresholds and account for them when they decide whether to take legal action.
Contact an Uber Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have been involved in an Uber accident, you need to contact a Smyrna GA personal injury lawyer today. The initial consultation is absolutely free. It gives you a chance to ask any questions and concerns you may have. Your lawyer can also take the opportunity to review your case.
Your Smyrna Uber accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you the money you deserve. Let him handle the legal side of things while you focus on getting well. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.