You’re walking down the street minding your own business and the next thing you know you are in an ambulance. A lot of people have decided to go green and walk or ride their bike to work. This is especially true in the city. This means that there are more pedestrians on the street than there were a couple of decades ago. With absolutely nothing to protect you, if hit by a car while walking down the road, you can have serious injuries. There traffic rules in Georgia requiring drivers to give the right of way to pedestrians. Your pedestrian injury lawyer will check to see if the other driver followed this rule. Generally speaking, if you’re driving a car you should always be on the lookout for people on foot. Unfortunately, accidents happen. Drivers get distracted or get so focus on the road that they don’t notice when a pedestrian is in the road. This can lead to dangerous, even fatal, pedestrian accidents. Pedestrian accident attorneys specialize in these types of cases. If injured in a pedestrian accident, you need to contact a Smyrna pedestrian accident lawyer. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will file a claim against the driver’s insurance company on your behalf. He will work hard to settle your claim. If for some reason, no one covers the claim, your pedestrian accident lawyer will have to take legal action against the driver.
Your Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Handles All Types of Cases
As a pedestrian, there are many ways in which you can get hit by a car. You could be waiting on the corner for the bus and a car drives up onto the curb. You may be crossing the street and a car comes speeding down the road and mows you down. Very rarely will a pedestrian be at fault for an accident. Unless you are weaving through traffic or walking on a road that isn’t open to pedestrians, you should have a valid claim against the driver. You need to contact a pedestrian accident attorney immediately to ensure you file this claim properly.
Most drivers do pay attention to the road. They stop at red lights and check to make sure nobody is coming before they cross the road. However, there are times when they won’t notice a pedestrian. For example. If a driver is changing the radio station they may not notice a person crossing the street. Or, if they are exiting a parking lot, they may look one way but not both. This may be careless, but it not intentional. Regardless of their intent, your pedestrian injury lawyer will make sure they pay.
Regardless of how careful a driver is, if they cause a pedestrian accident, they need to be held accountable. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will make sure this happens. They will work hard to negotiate with the insurance company to get your claim paid.
Pedestrian Injury Lawyer in Smyrna Will Get You the Compensation You Deserve
If you are hurt in a pedestrian accident, your pedestrian accident attorney is going to try to get you the money you deserve.
Some of the damages you may suffer in a pedestrian accident include:
- Lost wages – if you miss time from work, you are entitled to be compensated for it. Even if you use vacation or sick time, you shouldn’t have to lose this time because of someone else’s negligence. It’s important that you give your pedestrian injury lawyer copies of your pay stubs to show the insurance company. If you miss time from work that isn’t covered by accrued time, you are going to need to be paid for this. You may have to go on short-term disability just so you can survive while your claim is pending. Your pedestrian accident attorney will help you do this.
- Medical Bills – You can expect to rack up a lot of medical bills if you are injured in a pedestrian accident. Some of the bills will be for medical tests at the hospital. Other bills will be for prescriptions, doctor’s appointments and physical therapy. Your personal insurance may cover some of this. But all out of pocket expenses need to be covered by the responsible party. Your pedestrian injury lawyer is going to make sure this happens.
- Pain and Suffering – You can imagine how painful a pedestrian accident must be. A car that weighs thousands of pounds come barreling down the road and hits a human being. At a minimum, you will suffer broken bones. The seriousness of your injuries will depend on the circumstances of your accident. Pain and suffering are designed to compensate you for these things. Georgia does recognize pain and suffering so your pedestrian accident attorney is going to work hard to get you every penny you deserve.
Regardless of how great your damages are, it is a pedestrian accident lawyer’s job to get you what you are entitled to. Whether this comes from the driver’s insurance company or a lawsuit depends on how willing they are to settle your case. Both the insurance company and your pedestrian accident lawyer are going to want to settle the case. Nobody wants to go to trial. It is expensive and time-consuming.
Your Pedestrian Accident Attorney Will Prove Your Injuries
You may have suffered some serious injuries in your pedestrian accident. With nothing standing between you and the vehicle, you are bound to have been hurt. Even if the car wasn’t going all that fast, you are still going to be injured. Your pedestrian accident attorney is going to work hard to make sure all of your injuries are covered.
Some of the most common injuries associated with a pedestrian accident include:
- Broken bones – You will undoubtedly experience broken bones if you are hit by a car. Parts of your body may end up under the tires or wheels of the car. This will certainly cause broken bones. These will require surgery and most likely several weeks of recovery. You will miss time from work and be in pain for quite some time. Your pedestrian injury lawyer will make sure you are compensated for this pain and suffering.
- Back injuries – Back injuries are the most common type of injury associated with pedestrian accidents. You may suffer muscle strains or even disc issues if you are hit by a car. Like broken bones, they will require surgery and healing time. Back injuries almost always involve physical therapy as well. It is your pedestrian accident lawyer’s job to make sure they cover your bills.
- Internal injuries – There is no telling what kind of internal injuries you may suffer in a pedestrian accident. This is one reason why your pedestrian injury lawyer will always tell you to seek medical treatment immediately following your accident. Some of the more common types of internal injuries include:
- Swelling of the brain
- Punctured lungs
- Spleen and liver issues
- Internal bleeding
It’s important that you get treatment for internal injuries immediately. If left untreated, they can be fatal.
- Lacerations – If hit by a car, there can be broken glass. You may also cut yourself on the ground or pavement. This can cause lacerations on your arms, legs and face. You want to make sure your pedestrian accident lawyer gets you compensation for these injuries.
- Facial disfigurement – Because of the chances of your face getting injuries on the asphalt, your face may have severe damages. This may require cosmetic and reconstructive surgery to repair. Your pedestrian injury lawyer will fight to cover this treatment.
- Head injuries – One of the most serious types of pedestrian accident injuries is a traumatic brain injury (TBI.) This results from a severe blow to the head. A TBI can cause the following:
- Memory loss
- Vision impairment
- Hearing loss
- Brain hemorrhage
Your pedestrian accident attorney will negotiate with the driver’s insurance company to get you compensation for all of these injuries. If he is unable to do so, he will file a lawsuit for all damages you have suffered.
Contact a Smyrna Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you need to contact a Smyrna pedestrian accident attorney today. You only have a certain period of time in which to file your claim. Your pedestrian accident lawyer will help you make sure the process is smooth.
Your pedestrian injury lawyer will also make sure you meet the Georgia statute of limitations. In Georgia, you only have two years. Your pedestrian accident attorney is well aware of this two-year limitation. The two years starts on the day of the accident, not when you have completed treatment for your injuries. The issue is, you may have to file your lawsuit before you’re sure of the extent of your injuries. This is when your pedestrian accident lawyer will help. He can evaluate your case and rely on medical experts to predict your expected damages.
When you visit your pedestrian accident attorney for the first time, bring the following with you:
- Accident or police report
- Insurance information for driver
- Contact information for any eye witnesses
- Medical documentation
- Pictures of accident scene
- Pictures of your injuries
- Correspondence received by driver or his insurance company
Your personal injury attorney will need this information when he reviews your case. He can give you an idea of what your case may be worth. The initial consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.